Saturday, May 23, 2009

New Art & A Road Trip


"Primordial Spaces of Being"
Encaustic Monotype/Mixed Media on Cradled Board
10" h x 30" w


In March I took a workshop in Tucson at the Conrad Wilde Gallery with Santa Fe artist, Paula Roland to learn her technique of encaustic monotypes. I had been a printmaker ever since I discovered printmaking at UNLV back in the early 90's. I got hooked on the sound of ink rolling out on the glass and the delicate feel of paper in my hands. Then about 3 years ago after admiring the mystery of encaustic for many years, I finally took a workshop in encaustic with my now bestest girlfriend, Trish Baldwin Seggebruch and was immediately hooked on encaustics. For the past few years, I have switched back and forth working in encaustic and then going back to printmaking. Back and forth, back and forth. WELL - at Paula's class something just clicked for me and I seemed to have found my niche. I am now working directly on paper with cold hard encaustic and a heated metal plate.

I have created a series of encaustic monotype paintings, of course inspired by my relocation to the southwest. Landscapes are my love and this "Aggregate Canyons" series just flowed out of me with little effort, an accumulation of a history of memories, dreams and life experiences, always with a deep question and awareness of who I am and how do I fit into this world.

The 9 pieces in the series are loaded into my car and I am heading out on a road trip from Arizona to Seattle where I will be showing this work at Local Color in the Pike's Place Market area of town for the month of June. If you are in the area, please stop by. The opening reception is on Sat June 6th from 6-9pm.

1 comment:

  1. Wishing you a successful show but also a 1) glorious visit with family and friends and 2) surprising experiences that open up satisfying and/or new possibilities and confirm the direction of your journey

    ReplyDelete