Saturday, August 13, 2011

Creative Beings

I work the weekends at the Tubac Center of the Arts. I'm grateful that I get to bring my puppy, Maggie to work with me. Last weekend I was working on the computer with Maggie by my side and a man and his 11 year old daughter came in from Phoenix. The man claimed to know nothing about art but came to Tubac for his daughter as she was very interested in art. He was also a dog lover and sat on the floor next to the desk playing with Maggie while we chatted about art and our current exhibit, Summer Gallery, my work and creative expression. He designs computer systems, and shared that there were times that the joy of creating these systems, the simple magnificence of them, almost brought him to tears. We are all creative beings and whether the expression of our creativity is a painting on canvas or a complexly simple computer system, it is the process of creation that can bring us joy. This man left with a hug and a told me that he learned about art that day. A conversation I will never forget.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful story! You are so right, there is creativity in all of us. A few years back my husband took me to visit the city where he was born and lived well into his 40's. Hot Springs, Arkansas. He took me to the downtown tourist area. He was happy to show me around and tell me about everything. I wanted to go into the art galleries, every single one of them so we spent the biggest part of the day doing just that. At the end of the day he told me what a wonderful time he had (I did too) and that for all the years he lived there he never knew they had art galleries. Well, those galleries had been there for years and years he just never went in. You never know what you like until you try it!

    ReplyDelete