Monday, July 11, 2011

Inspiration or Obsession?


I recently read a book called "Molecules of Emotion" by Candace Pert, who in the 70's discovered the brain's opiate receptors. Pert tells her story of life as a woman in the science world where she eventually was tagged a feminist troublemaker. The situation made for good reading but the science somehow stuck with me and I started working on a new series of acrylic paintings titled, "Molecules of Emotion" where I imagined an inner landscape of molecules charging through my body and what they might look like, color, shape, size, depending on my emotional state of being; joyful, sad, depressed, agitated, lustful, resentful, etc. I've been painting these shapes and exploring the emotion of color ever since. At one point I was so obsessed that I panicked when I ran out of every red paint in the studio and immediately went online and overstocked on reds. At what point can inspiration become obsession?

1 comment:

  1. I am sure many great artists struggled with obsession. I like your study and I look forward to seeing where you take it.

    ReplyDelete