Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Trip to New Mexico

I'm on my last day of a week + road trip to New Mexico focusing on the area between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. My main reason for making the trip was to visit the
Encaustic Art Institute in Cerrillos, about 18 miles SE of Santa Fe. As a mixed media artist working mostly in encaustic, I was excited to be able to visit in person after becoming a member of this non-profit organization in January. EAI has been the dream of artist, Douglass Mehrens since he first purchased the property back in the early 90's. Douglass and his jeweler wife, Adrienne built their home and the institute's gallery/workshop space on the 12 acre property and have incorporated recycled materials into the building such as hundreds of old tires filled with rammed earth.

I was so taken with the space and long conversations with Doug and Adriene that I returned a second day.


Nearby is the artsy town of Madrid where I visited galleries and shops and enjoyed a few good meals.


At the Java Junction in Madrid, their motto is "Bad Coffee Sucks!". Yeah - Right On! I agree.

I met some great artists and friendly folks along the way. Stay tuned for more on the New Mexico Road Trip. The saga continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment